Mr YAN, Xiaoqiang
Lecturer (Chinese Dance)
Yan Xiaoqiang, from Mainland China. At the age of 10, he started to take professional class at Taiyuan Arts School in Shanxi Province. After 6-year professional dance training, he went to study at Beijing Dance Academy (BDA) from 2002 to 2006, and continued his study (major in dance performance research) for three years at the graduate school of BDA, where he received MA in 2009. During 2006-2008, he was also the assistant teacher at Beijing Dance Academy (BDA), teaching Chinese Classical Dance Technique and Repertoire, and helping found the Dance Performance Course. From Sep. 2008 to Aug. 2013, he was the dancer of Beijing Dance Theater. Mr. Yan danced all the works of the company, and cooperated with many renowned choreographers from around the world. His repertoire range included various styles, such as Chinese dance, Ballet, Contemporary dance, Tai Chi and Hip-hop. With the company, he performed in many top festivals and theatres in the world, including Sadler’s Wells of London, BAM Next Wave Arts Festival of New York, Kennedy Center for Performing Arts in Washington D.C, Holland Dance Festival, Cervantino Festival in Mexico, Belgrade Arts Festival in Serbia, Royal Danish Theatre, Tel Aviv Arts festival in Israel and Hong Kong Arts Festival (twice). Mr. Yan was also responsible for the rehearsals of certain repertory and worked as part-time ballet teacher for the company. From Aug. 2013, he joined the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts as Lecturer of Chinese Dance, teaching Chinese Dance Technique, Shen Yun and Repertory and creating new pieces for the students as well.
- Created 20-minute piece Martlet and 17-minute piece Isle for Beijing Dance Theater in May 2010 and Dec. 2012, performed in National Center for Performing Arts in Beijing.
- Created a Dunhuang Dance for Wuhan Music Conservatiore in 2012
- Choreographed for Chinese Paintings Multimedia Exhibition at Zentrum Paul Klee, Bern, Switzerland
- Co-Choreographers of Metropolis for the Chinese Dance students in Nov. 2013
- Guest teacher at Iwanson Contemporary Dance School in Munich, Germany
- Gold medalist of Shanxi Provincial Dance Competition in 2000
- First prize of professional division in National Dance Competition for College Students in 2005
- Finalist of 8th Taoli Cup Dance Competition in 2006;
- Finalist of contemporary dance (senior division) in 6th Seoul International Dance Competition in 2009