The General Education Component at the Academy is integral to the Bachelor of Fine Arts (Honours) and Bachelor of Music (Honours) programmes. The GE component consists of Liberal Arts Courses and Academy Elective Courses.
Liberal Arts Courses are core and required courses equipping students with fundamental cultural knowledge for performing artists in the 21st century.
Liberal Arts Courses
(Four required courses, 8 credits):
- 21st Century Artists: Creative Contents & the Contemporary World
- 21st Century Artists: Context of Contemporary Art Worlds
- Major Cultural Issues I
- Major Cultural Issues II
Academy Elective Courses comprise courses in five major areas of knowledge, and are designed to enhance the development of articulate and reflective art practitioners. The five areas are:
Academy Elective Courses Categories
Category A: Arts, Literature and Humanities
Category B: Science, Technology and the Environment
Category C: Social, Economic and Cultural Issues
Category D: Portfolio Career
Category E: Interdisciplinary Studies
Students select one course from each of the five categories of Academy Elective Courses to complete the 10-credit requirement.
Examples of Academy Elective Courses
- Appreciation of Chinese Literature (Category A)
- Forms and Ideas of Western Art (Category A)
- The Problems of Philosophy (Category A)
- Art and Digital Culture(Category B)
- Elements of Science in Performing Arts (Category B)
- The Built Environment of Hong Kong (Category B)
- Contemporary Economics Issues (Category C)
- Freud, Jung and Modern Culture (Category C)
- Walking into Cultural Hong Kong (Category C)
- Developing Cultural Leadership (Category D)
- Psychology for Performing Artists (Category D)
- Regional Art Festivals of Japan (Category D)
- Asian Theatre: Principles and Practices (Category E)
- Modern Western Theatre (Category E)
Through courses offered by the General Education Unit, students are expected to be cognizant of significant political, economic, social and cultural issues in contemporary society. Students will also gain substantial understandings on their potentials and roles as performing artists, and develop necessary skills to build professional careers.